Skip to main content

Summer 2011

A summer of new adventures has started!!! After two years of graduate school, I needed to take a break from academia and try something new. Key ingredients for this adventure is London and Beijing. But before that, I made short stops at a couple of cities to visit people I love. This posting is somewhat of a backtracking, but gotta get the old out of the way to welcome the new!

First stop was SAN FRANCISCO!!!

The biggest news in SF these days is my chubby little nephew, Ethan Kim!! He's soo adorable. All you want is to hug him and kiss him and pinch him. Lacking experience with "early humans", I was pretty awful when I held Ethan at first... I was supposed to hold his neck, his bottom and burp him at the same time. What?!  But the last time I checked, I only have two hands.... So to all the mommies out there, you guys are super-women!!! How do y'all stay soo devoted I have no idea!

 trying to stable his neck...
so that I can force a kiss onto him!!
 So the trick is to poke his little chin, then he'll smile like a little buddha!
sooo cute!

After Ethan, I did do some geeky architecture sighting and I brought my mom and aunt along. We stopped by the De-Young Museum in SF and the Cathedral of Christ the Light in Oakland.
 The exterior cooper cladding of the De-Young Museum is meant develop a green patina over time to eventually "disappear" into its surrounds. But I think it's better right now, it has become part of the landscape, mimicking the native mountain backdrop that is signature in many parts of California. Buildings will never really be invisible.. so stop trying!!

Roof structure cantilevering out to create the idea of an enclosure without enclosing. 
pacific ocean 


 baby Jesus and adult Jesus inside the Cathedral of Christ the light =) hehe
Overall view of church. The front panels of glass forms the body of a fish, diving into water..

Next stop was NYC!

Usually, going to NYC involves eating soup dumplings at Joe's, having ramen, going to museum, going bar popping... For being in the city for only two days, I did all my favorite things to do there...

 arrived at JFK, waiting across from the Saarinen building
 NJ transit diorama. I took the NJ transit from NYC Penn station to the Newark Airport. It was very fast and comfortable. Nice! Yay, public transportation!
 The best soup dumplings ever!!!!!!!!
 And not too shabby lion's head.
 Drinking mini ales with my favorite gal, Jenny!
 With the help of Jae and Min-suk, we emptied more mini glasses.. =) They were really glasses for hobbits, they were way way way too small!
 Farewell photo 1
Farewell photo 2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, nine year has passed. I got my master's in architecture, I got into F+P, I got my licence, but I got nothing built. So once again, I'm lost.  No job, but has work to do... I'm at a crossroad, very unmotivated to keep doing the same thing, but echoing my previous posts in the past 20 year, being timid to try something new... At least I finally learned how to make GIF emoji, that's a bit new....and a bit fun! 😂😂😂

A day in Austin

Today, I walked around Austin's Warehouse District and 2nd Street District for the very first time. Maybe because it is the Labor Day weekend, it was almost like a ghost town. None the less, there were many quaint finds. This store specializes in doggie attire... Post-it art =) Old wooden tracks Some of the buildings are the decade old warehouses buildings. How valuable are historic buildings to our current living? Are we preserving them for the sake of nostalgia? Or are they just in the way of developing better money churning properties. 

A new semester

Four more years have passed since my last blog, and something happened today that has ticked me enough to write in this again... My friend Hannah and I visited the UT art museum, the Blanton Art Museum, and I am now infused with opposing emotions that I have to let it out. Legend has it that Herzog & de Meuron was commissioned to build the new UT art museum back in the late 1990's. However, after they were selected, the UT Regency demanded the art museum to be more stylistically in line with the rest of the campus. As a result, Herzog said "BISAK (bye in Swedish)" and we don't have a landmark. We have a building that looks like the rest of the campus, with unadorned post-modern arches and columns and boarded up windows at the street level! At least the overhang soffit is generous and has nice wood paneling. Entering the museum, unimpressed, my mind changed quickly as we approached the central atrium with north facing sawtooth skylights, filling the space with